Friday, June 09, 2006

Separation Anxiety

(Thomas says, "Don't Fence Me In!")

Thomas's infection has apparently cleared up and they started chemo today, so it looks like we'll be coming home from the hospital on Sunday. That's good news. We've had most of our favorite nurses and everyone has just oohed and ahed over how big he's gotten, and really, it's been an uneventful trip. Nonetheless, it is always very nice to see the light at the end of the hospital tunnel.

Friends or family who spend time with us up here are usually blown away by the hospital experience. When we'd been living in ICU and then the floors for three months, more or less, Scott and I didn't really had time to notice the pace of things. Thomas was getting better almost every day, so we could only see things getting easier and more hopeful.

This time, we'd gotten a taste of life at home again, and I can't believe we made it through such a long stretch of a hospital stay. Let me take you through a typical hospital morning:

5:30 am: You get the baby back to sleep and finally get some real sleep yourself.

7 am: Intern tries to wake you up. You tell her to go away, as nicely as you possibly can.

8 am: Resident or Fellow or Somebody with Real Information tries to wake you up. You wipe the drool up and try to make important care decisions for your child without waking him up.

8:10 am: Doctors leave. You check the baby, who is sleeping soundly. You go back to sleep.

8:15 am: Housekeeping comes in. You tell her to go away, as nicely as you possibly can. You go back to sleep.

8:20 am: Baby's up and rarin' to go, with a 360 ml diaper with your name on it.

9:15 am: Convince nurse to stay with baby while you run out for a coffee. Guiltily race out the door while baby sobs horribly. Spill 1/2 of coffee on the way back.

9:20 am: Return to find nurse showing sighing, grinning baby around the nurse's station. Attempt to drink coffee. Baby sees you and begins to sob.

9:20 - 10 am: Play group. Baby puts each and every toy in the room in his mouth while you make a weird art project that is admired by the toddlers at your table.

10 - 10:30 am: Nap time! Cuddle! Spend 30 minutes staring at sweet, sleeping baby until you fall asleep, too.

10:35 am: Vitals check. Baby's up. Wipe drool . . .

...and so on. It's not so bad it's just the cartoon says, "so daily". We're really blessed that the staff at Children's has been so kind and thoughtful and competant- and also that my mom stays overnight about once a week - because otherwise, I'm pretty sure I'd go nuts.

Anyway, all that to say, I'm glad we'll all be home soon.

Read more!


At 2:07 PM, Blogger Trish McManus said...

Hi Thomas,

I am so glad you are getting out of the hospital. Nana is going to Finland and then to Mexico for work so she will be out of town for a few weeks. I will bring back souvenoirs. My thoughts and prayers are with you every day.

Love Nana


Post a Comment

<< Home